A decision on the Australian Open can be expected in the next two weeks, after speculating that the tournament could be postponed until February or even April dominated the penultimate day of the season tennis 2020
Tennis Australia Managing Director Craig Tiley released a statement on Sunday saying the organization was « doing everything possible to complete the tennis summer as quickly as possible »
« Our intention is to provide a summer in conditions that allow players to prepare and perform at their best and fans to benefit from their efforts – all in a safe environment for all parties involved, » said he declared
« We are working closely with the Victorian Government on a plan which takes into account the needs of players, fans, partners and staff, and which has a major benefit for the Victorian and Australian economies
« We are continuing our urgent discussions with local health authorities regarding quarantine and biosecurity requirements and are confident that we will have decisions soon
« We look forward to announcing when our tickets go on sale as soon as all arrangements with the relevant authorities are finalized and we have more information on crowd sizes We expect this on-sale date to take place within the next two weeks «
Victoria Prime Minister Dan Andrews said on Saturday he was confident Melbourne would host the traditional first Grand Slam of the season « early next year », but the exact timing was still unknown
Tiley and his team have been in detailed talks with Andrews and the Victoria Department of Health for several days, arguing the players that it would be impossible to ask them to stay in quarantine for 14 days without training for the ‘Open, or play in other tournaments
Andrews said players would not be allowed to arrive until January 1 and may have to self-isolate for two weeks at designated hotels This would mean that the 24-team ATP Cup, which was due to start in three Australian cities on January 4, would have to be significantly reduced and moved to Melbourne, where it would be held in a biosecurity bubble, postponed or canceled.
Uncertainty over plans fueled speculation that the season’s first slam could be postponed by several weeks The rumor started on Sydney Radio, without any named source, and was amplified on Saturday by a report of the international press service
However, the postponement of the tournament – which is due to start on January 18 – would pose serious logistical and negotiating challenges as it could disrupt preparations for up to 40 ATP and WTA tournaments, as well as Davis Cup fixtures and of the Fed Cup Reorganizing all of this would involve unprecedented compromise and cooperation between event planners, sponsors, broadcasters, health authorities and stakeholders.
Organizers of the Australian Open on Saturday duly rejected suggestions that the tournament would be pushed back to February or March as « pure speculation » « Earlier in the week we [said] how we continue to work closely with the Victorian government and we will update with more information as soon as possible, and there is no update from that at this time, ” said a spokesperson
Australian Open, Tennis Australia, Craig Tiley, Novak Djokovic
EbeneInfo – UA – Australian Open start date still not set in the middle of the Covid-19 confusion
Vidéo du jour: De la cocaïne retrouvée dans une école maternelle de Seine Saint Denis, deux enfants hospitalisés