EbeneInfo – AU – The fate of Open in the hands of the Prime Minister of Vic, transfer likely in February

0
0

Early February has emerged as the most likely time slot for the Australian Open, but broadcaster Channel Nine prefers the Grand Slam to go ahead in January as planned

The fate of the Open is in the hands of Victorian Prime Minister Daniel Andrews, whose uncompromising approach to quarantine has divided the world’s two best male players – Novak Djokovic and Rafael Nadal – and thrown tournament planning in chaos

A source familiar with the weekend’s « urgent talks » between Tennis Australia and health authorities said the Open was likely to be delayed for only a week or two from the scheduled start on January 18, February 1 shaping up as a possible start date of the fortnightly tournament

It will depend on negotiations with ATP and WTA, the governing bodies of both men’s and women’s touring A second source close to the talks said TA boss Craig Tiley has convinced players they need to stick to the rules. government-enforced quarantine rules, but Australia was the safest place they could be

It comes amid fears that players could boycott the Open if they are not allowed to play in the preliminary tournaments, or at least practice, during quarantine

Sources say Nine is backing Tiley and his team to convince the Andrews government that the tournament could be held safely in Melbourne

Nine (owner of The Age and the Sydney Morning Herald) secured the broadcast rights to the Australian Open in 2018 in a five-year, $ 300 million deal, snatching the event from Channel Seven The traditional January slot of the Open means that Nine can use the high-quality event to promote the launch of its new programming which will begin in February for viewers and advertisers

« We are working with Tennis Australia and hope that a solution can be found to organize the Australian Open as planned in January 2021, » a spokesperson for Nine said on Sunday. The tournament is still expected to score well in February

Global Non2 Nadal said on Sunday that tennis players were unable to dictate to the state government any of the restrictions he places on players or tournaments in Victoria, days after the non1 Djokovic pleaded for the players to participate in the second week of their quarantine

Nadal – who did not go to New York for the US Open but played and won the French Open – was questioned after his loss to Daniil Medvedev in the ATP World final Tour to London on Sunday if there were any circumstances under which he would not play at the Australian Open

« I don’t know yet what the situation will be », said Nadal « We have to wait for what the government of Victoria says

« There isn’t much we can do from the ATP position or just wait. We [are] no one to say what they think is best for [their] country, right?

« We just have to be patient and come to terms with the situation we are facing It’s hard for everyone We have to be flexible to understand the situation and find a way to play as many tournaments as possible next year »

« I hope that with the vaccine it ends soon and we can at least get back to normal in a few months, but now is a difficult situation »

Nadal’s comments are at odds with world Non1 Djokovic, who this week urged Australia to give special allowances to tennis players

Tennis Australia had been hoping to welcome international tennis stars to Melbourne from December 8, but they were thrown a curve ball when it was revealed the government would block any player from arriving in Melbourne – and starting a mandatory two-week quarantine period – until early January

« We work very closely with Tennis Australia and they in turn are talking to their global partners, media partners, sponsors, and when we have an announcement to make we will make it, » Andrews said on Sunday

« When you add to this quarantine effort the need to have over 1000 people directly linked to this event [coming to Melbourne], it is not a simple thing, there is a certain complexity to it. this « 

« Our intention is to provide a summer in conditions that allow players to prepare and perform at their best and fans to benefit from their efforts – all in a safe environment for all parties involved, » said he declared

« We are working closely with the Victorian Government on a plan that takes into account the needs of players, fans, our partners and staff, and which has a major benefit for the Victorian and Australian economy »

Australian Open, Tennis Australia, Novak Djokovic, Craig Tiley

EbeneInfo – UA – The fate of the Open in the hands of the Prime Minister of Vic, will probably shift until ‘in February

Source: https://www.theage.com.au/sport/tennis/we-need-to-wait-tennis-stars-at-odds-over-victoria-s-approach-to-australian-open-20201122-p56gs4.html

Abonnez-vous à notre chaîne Youtube en cliquant ici

Vidéo du jour: De la cocaïne retrouvée dans une école maternelle de Seine Saint Denis, deux enfants hospitalisés

– Pub –