News – PH – DOH does not support COVID-19 test for tourists in Cebu

0
5

LAZY MONDAY There are few vehicles on the streets of Cebu City on Monday, which were full of drivers and pedestrians before the coronavirus pandemic last year The city continues to be in a changed quarantine for the general community, as more and more COVID-19 cases emerge —DALE ISRAEL

CEBU CITY – The health authorities in Central Visayas support the move from Cebu Gov Gwendolyn Garcia, to drop coronavirus swab test requirement for visitors entering the province

Dr Mary Jean Loreche, spokeswoman for the area’s health department (DOH-7), said only tourists who showed symptoms of COVID-19 such as fever, sore throat and colds should undergo the swab tests

When asked how to check if the tourists were having symptoms, Loreche said it was up to the tourists to seek medical help if they were experiencing these symptoms

“If they feel uncomfortable or develop symptoms during their stay, they must be seen or examined by the city or city health officer,” Loreche told the investigator

Garcia announced at a press conference last week that Cebu would make it easier for tourists to enter the province when it officially reopens its doors to local visitors from February 23

With the exception of a medical certificate and pre-booking of accommodation, the governor said there was no need to impose any additional requirement, specifically a negative reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) test result, which is used by most local governments in The EU is demanding land aimed at tourists, such as Boracay Island in Aklan Province and El Nido in Palawan Province

Garcia also turned down plans to keep the province under strict quarantine measures despite increasing coronavirus cases in the province and the independent cities of Cebu and Lapu-Lapu, as well as the discovery of the two mutations in the virus

A woman uses the free swab test at the Ministry of Health in Cebu City (POSTING PHOTO)

The governor met with DOH-7 officials last week to discuss her plans to ease coronavirus measures in the province and revive the dying tourism industry
The step to relax the protocols came when the Philippine Genome Center (PGC) detected two COVID-19 mutations in the city and province of Cebu

Loreche, also chief pathologist at DOH-7, said the two “mutations of concern” – E484K and N501Y – may be local and not from other countries

The two mutations were discovered from 161 samples sent to the PGC to detect the presence of the B117 variant, also known as the UK variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that caused COVID-19

Sixty of the specimens were already negative for the UK variant when mutations were found in 37 other specimens, which are now referred to as “variants of concern”

On Sunday, the DOH announced that the PGC and the National Institutes of Health at the University of the Philippines have acquired three additional samples from the region with the N501Y and E484K mutations of SARS-CoV-2

The health department said scientists in the Philippines are preparing to present the results of Central Visayas to the World Health Organization and the global initiative to share all influenza data

“[This is] to support ongoing global efforts to track and study new and emerging genomic alterations in the SARS-CoV-2 virus that vaccine manufacturers can use to recalibrate vaccines and ensure effectiveness against COVID-19″said the DOH

You can find more news about the novel coronavirus here
What you need to know about coronavirus

Further information on COVID-19 is available from the DOH hotline: (02) 86517800 local 1149/1150

The Inquirer Foundation supports our frontliners in the healthcare sector and continues to accept monetary donations that are deposited into the current account # 007960018860 of the Banco de Oro (BDO) or donated via this link via PayMaya

Subscribe to INQUIRER PLUS to get access to The Philippine Daily Inquirer’s other 70 titles &, share up to 5 gadgets, listen to the news and download & articles on social media as early as 4 a.m. Call 896 6000 an

We use cookies to ensure you get the best possible experience on our website. If you continue, you consent to our use of cookies. To find out more, please click on this link

Cebu, Ministry of Health – Republic of the Philippines, Coronavirus, Gwendolyn Garcia

News – PH – DOH does not support COVID-19 test for tourists in Cebu
Related title :
DOH does not support COVID-19 -Test for tourists in Cebu
Cebu governor rejects COVID-19 lockdown
DOH advisor: put Cebu under ECQ again

Source: https://newsinfo.inquirer.net/1398838/doh-backs-no-test-for-tourists-in-cebu